Spring brings new life in blooming flowers and trees, and, with that beauty, seasonal allergies can sometimes be an issue. And humans aren’t the only ones affected–our furry and feathered friends can be sensitive to allergens, too. If you notice any of the 5 signs of allergies below in your pets, call your veterinarian for a visit.
1. Runny nose. We’re used to wet noses from our canine friends, but discharge can be a sign of allergy irritation.
2. Sneezing. Occasional sneezes are normal, but if you notice an increase in frequency, that could be allergies.
3. Difficulty breathing, including a stuffy or congested nose, as well as wheezing or coughing. Snoring may be a sign of difficulty breathing as well, so watch for that sign, too.
4. Excessive scratching. Unlike scratching due to pests like fleas, itching due to allergies can be excessive, even including chewing paws, rubbing the face or ears or even consistently licking, causing irritated skin or loss of hair or feathers.
5. Skin irritations. Sometimes rashes, hives or bumps are a sign of allergies, so keep a watch out for them.