Just like humans, pets sometimes get scrapes and other injuries that need quick attention. Preparing and stocking a pet first aid kit will help you be ready for quick action when trouble strikes. We at Merry Pets take pet first aid education at the American Red Cross and carry first aid kits with us to be ready in case of injury. You can easily purchase a pet first aid kit online, but if you’re interested in doing it yourself, grab a small container and stock it with the following basics:
- A list of important phone numbers, such as your vet, 24-hour emergency vets and poison control.
- Quick-reference guide to pet first aid for reference
- Gauze pads and rolls
- Adhesive tape
- Cornstarch (to mix with water to stop bleeding)
- Pet-safe antiseptic wipes
- Saline solution
- Ice pack
- Clean rag
- Rectal thermometer and petroleum jelly
To build a more involved check out the comprehensive list of supplies from the Humane Society online. Whether your pet first aid kit is simple or complex, having one on hand will save you time, help reduce stress and can even be a lifesaver.